Sunday, December 12, 2010

Buenos Aires

As a finance lawyer you usually don't have many exciting trips. The usual trips are to contract negotiations in a big city, and you see only the four walls of your hotel room, the four walls of a meeting room, and if you're lucky, some of the space in between your hotel room and the meeting room (if you're really lucky this would entail more than just ducking your head into a taxi).

Two weeks ago I got to go somewhere really exciting: Buenos Aires! It was my first time in South America, and oddly enough, despite the work, I enjoyed it. I was there for nine days, and I had enough time to wander away from the hotel room and the meeting room. 

I was in Microcentro, the business district, and it didn't feel like any other financial center. There was a pervasive sort of pleasantness. There were these ubiquitous, very pretty, purple trees:





On the weekend, my nice colleagues took me to see a tango-ballet show, where I was enthralled, impressed, mesmerized. It was to the music of  Astor Piazolla, in an impressive theater unsurprisingly called De Colloseo. I would be very happy if I ever had the chance to see a tango-ballet show again.


I was also able to visit the neighborhood of San Telmo, alternating between walking around, escaping the heat in a cafe, watching the Tango performers and grinning.



On a Sunday afternoon a client invited me and my colleagues to watch a Polo match. It was my first time to see a Polo game played live, and I was quite amazed at how often the players have to change horses (every four minutes!).


Of course my Argentine trip would not have been complete without a trip to a Parilla - steak, Malbec, steak, Malbec, steak, Malbec - and we went almost every single night. And why wouldn't you?


I unfortunately wasn't able to take a lot of pictures, but I told L we should go back soon, and hopefully without work getting in the way!