Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Book Roll

It appears that my last post on books was way back in April - has it been that long? Well, here are the books I've read since then, along with my pithy commentary (I am quite proud of myself, only one chick lit novel):

On the Road, Jack Kerouac - Rambling, as it was supposed to be. I guess I am truly a child of post post-modernism; this book did not appeal to me.

North and South, Elizabeth Gaskell - After reading On The Road I needed a lot more structure, and hence, a classic novel by the grittier Jane Austen. A romance, but the hero lost all his money in the end and the heroine had to bail him out with hers. Rock on. (Sorry for the spoiler)

The Crying of Lot 49, Thomas Pynchon - I remember her name perfectly, Oedipa Mass. Such a short book with so much metaphor.

World Without End, Ken Follet - I read Pillars of the Earth 17 years ago. I remember liking it a lot then, so I had to read this sequel. Was Pillars of the Earth written like this? Or has my taste in books changed?

What Einstein Told His Cook, Robert Wolke - Kitchen Science! Remember: never cook with sea salt; just sprinkle it on food that is about to be eaten.

The Crimson Petal and the White, Michael Faber - Good writing + 19th century prostitution in London = my full attention.

A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius, Dave Eggers - funny, irreverent, sincere. First time I read him outside of McSweeney's, and I am definitely a fan.

The Time Traveller's Wife, Audrey Niffeneffer - why is it a bestseller? A captivating story, a non-sell-out ending, and I admit, very enjoyable.

Remember Me?, Sophie Kinsella - read on a very long airplane ride from  Manila to Amsterdam. There are fewer pleasures on an airplane.

I, Claudius, Robert Graves - historical fiction about the Roman emperor who was not what people thought him to be. Thoroughly entertaining. Will someone please let me know where I can get the sequel (without EU tariffs)?