Thursday, October 22, 2009

Manila via Hong Kong

After a year and three months, L and I finally traveled back home.

But first, we stayed two days in Hong Kong with Mr. and Mrs. MC. I spent my birthday eating my favorite Cantonese dishes at Peking Garden, and shopped for clothes that were made for more petite people.  We met up with old friends, and I felt very sentimental - L and I remember Hong Kong fondly, and it was great to be back.

After a few days in Manila, that feeling was magnified about fifty times. Despite five years of living abroad in as many countries, Manila, I realized, will always be the place I'll understand completely, and it will always understand me. We were in Manila at the height of both Typhoons Ondoy and Pepeng, and though there was a lot of  sadness and destruction, I was glad to see the people of Manila as a great community of helpful, hopeful people.

I took some pictures, and if you know my facebook page, its all there. My brother got married, I saw a lot of family and friends,  I ate four Filipino meals a day, and L and I even went with some friends to Ateneo's victory bonfire.

I can't wait to go back.