Thursday, September 4, 2008

Mauritshuis

L. and I have been scouring the Hague for apartments. The apartments here are almost the same size as those back in Hong Kong, but they differ in room sizes: HK has smaller kitchens and bigger bathrooms, while the Hague has smaller bathrooms and bigger kitchens (I'm trying very hard not to make a deductive generalization from this).

Between apartment viewings, L. and I visited a museum called The Mauritshuis, acclaimed as one of the best small museums in the world. It only has two floors, but houses very famous paintings from the Dutch Masters. My favorite Dutch painter of the Baroque period is Johannes Vermeer, and, lucky me, I finally saw the Girl with a Pearl Earring.

I'm no art connoisseur, but I was riveted. You can't stop looking at this painting. Apparently its a trony - work used by the artist to practice, or to show off a particular skill. This is not a true likeness of an actual woman, and the turban and pearl earring are embellishments.

The painting above is Vermeer's View of Delft, also quite awe inspiring. Vermeer is a genius of light and shadow.

Of course, this being the Netherlands, the museum had  A LOT of paintings by Rembrandt. Here's my favorite, The Anatomy Lesson of Dr. Nicolaes Tulp (it's also the most famous at this museum, so I'm quite un-original when it comes to my artistic preferences):

No comments: