Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Midori plays Brahms

The past two weeks have been unbelievably busy, but somehow last Saturday night I got a breather to watch a concert with L. at the HK City Hall Concert Hall.


Midori Plays Brahms. I got tickets thanks to my office mate C.L., who got us center orchestra tickets (pretty awesome!).  I haven't really been to a concert where the violin played so prominently before, and though I like listening to Itzhak Perlman, Isaac Stern (and ok, fine) the Bond Girls, nothing quite prepares you for seeing a great violinist play live. 

Its not just the music (though hearing the Violin Concerto in D major, Op 77 by Brahms played live was divine), its the experience of actually seeing a musician play with such passion and life and endurance. Almost as if the music actually possessed her. I was captivated. 

The HK Philharmonic Orchestra (conducted by David Atherton) was also wonderful. Aside from accompanying Midori, they also played The Firebird Suite by Stravinsky, which has made me forgo listening to chamber music forever.

Trivia: Midori started playing professionally at the age of 11 when she first made a surprise appearance at the New York Philharmonic's New Year's Even concert. Her violin is a the 1734 Guarnerius del Gesu "ex-Huberman".

Trivia No. 2: It still strikes me as odd that I've grown to love this kind of music. I can't be that old.





No comments: